First United Methodist Church of Pacific Grove has been around since 1875, at a location on Lighthouse Ave. that now houses the popular restaurant International Cuisine. A new church was built on 5 ½ acres of coastal forest,
at the corner of Sunset Ave. and 17 Mile Drive in 1963. Moving that move to a new location required a vision for the future. We find ourselves looking to our future following a 15 month pandemic season of "doing church” at home. While we have recently come together and are worshipping together in our sanctuary,
our vision for our future includes more than just worshipping together on Sunday mornings.
Our future together requires we live into our mission to love God, serve others and grow in faith. Together, we seek ways to support our brothers and sisters ---all are children of God--- in our surrounding communities through service and providing for the needs of others to the best of our ability and resources.
We are called to love our neighbor.
Rev. Gayle Basten, Pastor
Sharon Ericksen, Director of Music
Linda Reinertsen, Organist
For more information
Pacific Grove is a small charming coastal city in Monterey County, California located between Pebble Beach and Monterey.
Pacific Grove has numerous Victorian-era houses, some of which have been turned into bed-and-breakfast inns and is known as "The Sanctuary by the Sea" and "America's Last Hometown.
OUR HISTORY...in brief
In 1873, the Rev. W. S. Ross, a Methodist minister, was one of the first settlers to build a home in Pacific Grove. Methodist Bishop J. T. Peck, searching for a location for Christian seaside resort, visited Rev. Ross’ home in 1875; that year, the Methodists formed the Pacific Grove Retreat Association, which, eventually, led to the formation of the city of Pacific Grove.
In 1888, under the leadership of Rev T. H. Sinex, a Church and Assembly Hall were built on Lighthouse Avenue. The church featured twin spires and a revolving cross that could be seen for miles out at sea and was the most outstanding landmark in Pacific Grove. The church was dedicated in 1889.
In 1955, the present church site on Sunset Drive was purchased, and
a groundbreaking service was held on Palm Sunday in 1962. On Palm Sunday the following year, April 7, 1963 the congregation had its first worship service in the new and current sanctuary.